NordVPN Not Working With BBC iPlayer? Here’s How to Fix It
If your NordVPN suddenly isn’t working with BBC iPlayer – don’t panic! This is usually an easy fix.
So, in this quick guide, we’ll show you the most common ways to solve technical glitches when connecting NordVPN to BBC iPlayer. And if those don’t work, we’ll recommend the best alternative VPNs you can try.
How to stream BBC iPlayer with NordVPN
To start, let’s make sure your NordVPN app is set up correctly for BBC iPlayer.
NordVPN has apps for most devices that work with BBC iPlayer, including some smart TVs. The setup is usually the same for all:
- Sign up for NordVPN and get a 30-day money-back guarantee to try it risk-free.
- Download the app to your device that works with BBC iPlayer.
- Connect to a server in the UK.
- Clear the cache and cookies in your browser or BBC iPlayer app.
- Open the BBC iPlayer app or sign in through your browser.
Clearing your cache and cookies is important if BBC iPlayer remembers your location from a previous session.
If you still can’t access BBC iPlayer, try connecting to a different server in the UK. If NordVPN is still blocked, keep reading to find other VPNs that work well with BBC iPlayer.
How well does NordVPN work with BBC iPlayer?
NordVPN is one of the best VPNs for BBC iPlayer. It uses advanced technology to hide your IP address and bypass geo-blocks. NordVPN also has an extensive network of high-speed servers in the UK, so you can always find a fast and reliable connection.
Our team has tested NordVPN’s UK servers from Europe, Asia, and Africa and could stream BBC iPlayer in 4K HD with minimum buffering. NordVPN uses advanced server technology and lightweight VPN protocols to ensure a smooth, reliable, and fast connection from any location.
However, like any technology, NordVPN is not perfect. Sometimes, it can have technical problems that can prevent you from accessing BBC iPlayer. Let’s explore the most common problems.
Why isn’t NordVPN working with BBC iPlayer?
BBC iPlayer is a streaming service only available in the UK. This is because BBC iPlayer has licensing agreements that prevent it from showing its content in other countries. As a result, access to its content is restricted to individuals inside the UK.
BBC iPlayer also invests heavily in identifying and blocking VPN servers because many people use VPNs to try to watch its content outside the UK. If you’re in the UK and using NordVPN to improve your online privacy, BBC iPlayer will still block you.
The best BBC iPlayer VPNs constantly find ways around these blocks, though it’s a challenging process. They’re in a constant game of hide and seek with the streamer.
However, NordVPN’s performance may occasionally stall due to software limitations and technical glitches. Here are the most common and their solutions:
1. BBC iPlayer is reading old location data from your browser or device. Your old location will conflict with your VPN servers – causing an error on the BBC iPlayer app.
Solution: Clear your cache and cookies, and restart BBC iPlayer.
2. BBC iPlayer has identified and blocked your NordVPN server. It won’t accept connection requests from that server’s IP address. NordVPN has many UK servers, and you can switch to another easily in the app.
Solution: Switch to another server in the UK.
3. BBC iPlayer is using GPS to establish your location. Mobile apps often log your location by reading other GPS apps – like Google Maps. There is no way for NordVPN to hide this data.
Solution: Access BBC iPlayer on your mobile device’s browser or use a GPS spoofing app.
Best alternative VPNs for streaming BBC iPlayer
If you’ve tried all the solutions mentioned earlier and NordVPN still can’t connect to BBC iPlayer, you may want to consider using a different VPN.
Our team has tested many VPNs against BBC iPlayer and other streaming platforms. We found six VPNs that we are confident in.
You can read a brief review of these VPNs below or our comprehensive VPN reviews to learn more about their performance in streaming, privacy, security, value, and other aspects.
[[post-object type=”summary-section” pros-cons=”true” /]]
How we tested NordVPN and others with BBC iPlayer
We’ve tested hundreds (maybe thousands) of VPNs over the years. Each test involves rigorous benchmarks that cover a range of metrics, extending beyond simply streaming BBC iPlayer. Only a small number of VPNs ever make it through the process.
You can use our criteria to decide on the right VPN for you, which include:
- Server network: The best VPNs have thousands of servers in countries across the globe, including many locations in the UK.
- Connection speeds: We’ve only recommended VPNs fast enough to stream BBC iPlayer in HD, regardless of your location.
- Access to content: We checked every VPN against BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, and other popular streamers.
- Security: Top VPNs use the latest cybersecurity to shield your data and device, including automatic kill-switches, 256-bit AES encryption, and DNS leak protections.
- Privacy: Our top VPNs provide extra privacy tools like IP address masking, anti-tracking tools, and ad blockers that hide your location, activities, data, and identity.
- Value: The best VPNs offer affordable, fixed subscription plans with generous money-back guarantees to test them risk-free.
- Easy to use: Just because VPNs are a complicated technology, they shouldn’t be difficult to use. Our favorite VPNs are all very beginner-friendly.
- Customer support: Look for VPNs that offer 24/7 live chat, comprehensive video tutorials and troubleshooting guides, and active user communities.
Read our complete VPN review process to see the full list of criteria and use it to guide you when choosing a VPN for BBC iPlayer – or anything else.
Do free VPNs work with BBC iPlayer?
Free VPNs struggle to bypass BBC iPlayer restrictions due to their limited UK server capabilities.
However, that’s just one of many reasons we don’t endorse free VPNs. There are many more, including:
1. Limited server locations. Most only have servers in two to three countries that quickly get crowded with other free users and are detected by streamers.
2. Too slow for BBC iPlayer. They either can’t deliver fast connections or throttle your steaming speeds, so you eventually upgrade to a paid plan.
3. Bombard you with ads. They’re intrusive, irritating, and could be carrying malware.
4. Sell your information to advertisers and data brokers. Your privacy will be compromised, and you might get malware and trackers installed on your device.
5. Free VPNs are not secure. More than 40% of free VPN apps in the Google Play Store have been caught leaking private data from users
Plenty of cheap VPNs work with BBC iPlayer without compromising your safety or delivering a bad experience.
Save yourself a lot of headaches and avoid free VPNs altogether.
NordVPN and BBC iPlayer FAQs
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Why isn’t BBC iPlayer working with VPN?” answer=”
BBC iPlayer uses advanced ‘geo-restriction’ tools to block anyone outside the UK or using a VPN from accessing its content. Whenever it detects a VPN’s server, it adds this to a ‘block list.’ If it detects you’re using that VPN server, BBC iPlayer automatically blocks you until you turn it off.
This helps BBC iPlayer comply with licensing agreements, as it’s a UK-only streaming site.
Using a VPN with an extensive UK server network and advanced stealth software is the best way to go undetected by BBC iPlayer’s tools. We recommend ExpressVPN or Surfshark.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Do I need a specific NordVPN server for BBC iPlayer?” answer=”
While NordVPN doesn’t have dedicated servers labeled for BBC iPlayer, a UK-based server is the only option for accessing the streaming service.
NordVPN has plenty of servers in the UK, so if the first one doesn’t work, you can select another in a different part of the country.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Can I use NordVPN on devices other than my computer to access BBC iPlayer?” answer=”
Yes, NordVPN is compatible with various devices beyond your computer, including smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, and more. Installing the NordVPN app on these devices enables access to BBC iPlayer content.
Alternatively, you can install NordVPN on your home WiFi router to route every device through its UK servers in one go. However, this is a more technically advanced solution.
NordVPN is an excellent choice for watching BBC iPlayer but sometimes gets blocked by the streaming site.
If this happens, follow our simple process to fix any technical problems with your NordVPN app.
If none of the steps we’ve suggested work, try another top BBC iPlayer VPN – like ExpressVPN or Surfshark – or read our VPN reviews to find the one that’s right for you.
Remember, the best VPNs all have 30-day money-back guarantees, so there’s no risk in trying them out.