IPVanish Not Working With BBC iPlayer? Here’s What to Do
Many VPN users encounter issues when trying to stream content from BBC iPlayer.
However, there are steps you can take to resolve this problem and regain access to your favorite shows and movies.
In this quick guide, we’ll show you the most common fixes for issues that prevent you from accessing BBC iPlayer using IPVanish. And if those don’t work, we’ll give you the best alternative VPNs to switch to.
How to stream BBC iPlayer with IPVanish
First, let’s ensure your IPVanish app is configured correctly for BBC iPlayer.
IPVanish has apps for many devices that work with BBC iPlayer, including several smart TV models.
The setup process is generally the same for all of them:
- Sign up for IPvanish. You’ll get a 30-day money-back guarantee to try it risk-free.
- Download the app onto your BBC iPlayer device.
- Connect to a server in the UK.
- Clear your browser or BBC iPlayer app cache and cookies.
- Open the BBC iPlayer app or sign in on your browser.
Clearing your cache and cookies is essential in case BBC iPlayer has stored your location in a previous session.
If you still can’t access BBC iPlayer now, try connecting to a different UK server. If IPVanish is completely blocked, keep reading to find alternative VPNs that work with BBC iPlayer.
How well does IPVanish work with BBC iPlayer?
Generally, IPVanish works well with BBC iPlayer, because of its large network of servers in the UK, many of which are optimized for streaming.
IPVanish offers a SOCKS5 proxy and a full VPN service with encryption. The proxy ensures fast connections, while the VPN secures your data, making it ideal for streaming BBC iPlayer privately and reliably, even over public WiFi.
However, like any technology, IPVanish can experience some issues. Let’s explore the most common technical reasons why it’s not working with BBC iPlayer.
Why does IPVanish not work with BBC iPlayer
BBC iPlayer is a UK-only streaming site. Due to its broadcast licenses, it is not supposed to be watched outside the country, even if you are a UK citizen.
So, it actively blocks anyone outside the UK from accessing its content.
BBC iPlayer also invests heavily in detecting and blocking VPN servers, because many people use VPNs to access its content outside the UK. Even if you’re in the UK and using IPVanish to improve your online privacy, BBC iPlayer will still block you.
The best BBC iPlayer VPNs are constantly finding ways around these blocks, but it’s not easy. They’re in an ongoing battle of wits with the streaming service.
However, software limitations and technical glitches in IPvanish can contribute to it not working with BBC iPlayer. Here are the most common reasons why these happen, and their solutions:
1. BBC iPlayer is reading old location data from your browser or device. Your old location will conflict with your VPN servers – causing an error on the BBC iPlayer app.
Solution: Clear your cache and cookies, and restart BBC iPlayer.
2. BBC iPlayer has identified and blocked your IPVanish server. It won’t accept connection requests from that server’s IP address. IPVanish has many UK servers, and you can switch to another easily in the app.
Solution: Switch to another server in the UK.
3. BBC iPlayer is using GPS to establish your location. Mobile apps often log your location by reading other apps using GPS – like Google Maps. There is no way for IPVanish to hide this data.
Solution: Access BBC iPlayer on your mobile device’s browser or use a GPS spoofing app.
The best alternative VPNs for streaming BBC iPlayer
If you’ve tried everything, and IPVanish still won’t work with BBC iPlayer, you may need to try a different VPN.
We’ve tested countless VPNs against BBC iPlayer and every other popular streaming site (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, etc.) and found just five that we recommend.
Take a quick look at them below, or read our complete VPN reviews, to see exactly how each VPN performs in terms of streaming, privacy, security, value, and more.
[[post-object type=”summary-section” pros-cons=”true” /]]
How we tested IPVanish and others with BBC iPlayer
Over many years of publishing reviews, we have developed strict criteria for testing VPNs. For this guide, we focused on the compatibility of each alternative to IPVanish with BBC iPlayer, connection speeds, and other factors.
Here’s a sample of our ranking factors:
- Server network: We only recommend VPNs with thousands of servers spread throughout countries across the globe.
- Connection speeds: We check if every VPN is fast enough for HD streaming, even if you connect to far-away servers.
- Access to content: The top VPNs work with BBC iPlayer and other popular streamers, including Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, and Hulu.
- Security: Our favorite VPNs use the latest cybersecurity tools to keep you safe, including 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and automatic kill-switches.
- Privacy: We looked for VPNs that hide your location and identity through a mix of IP address masking, anti-tracking tools, ad blockers, and similar software.
- Value: The best VPNs offer simple, affordable plans, and generous money-back guarantees.
- Ease of use: Just because VPNs are a complicated technology, they don’t have to be difficult to use. Our favorite VPNs are all very beginner-friendly.
- Customer support: Look for VPNs that offer 24/7 live support with human agents, video tutorials and troubleshooting, and other support channels.
You can use our VPN testing guide to assess which VPN is the best for you when choosing a VPN for BBC iPlayer and any other use.
Do free VPNs work with BBC iPlayer?
Most free VPNs don’t work with BBC iPlayer because the streamer easily detects their limited UK servers and they lack stealth technology that hides them from VPN detection tools.
However, these are just two of the many reasons you should avoid free VPNs. There are many more, including:
1. Limited server locations. Most have servers in two to three countries that quickly get crowded with other free users and are detected by streamers.
2. Too slow for BBC iPlayer. They either can’t deliver fast connections or throttle you, so you eventually upgrade to a paid plan.
3. Bombard you with ads. They’re intrusive, irritating, and could be carrying malware.
4. Sell your information to advertisers and data brokers. Your privacy will be compromised, and you might get malware and trackers installed on your device.
There are many fantastic and affordable VPNS that work with BBC iPlayer without compromising your safety or delivering a bad experience.
Save yourself a lot of headaches and avoid free VPNs altogether.
IPVanish not working with BBC iPlayer FAQs
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”How can I fix IPVanish not working with BBC iPlayer?” answer=”
If you’re having trouble accessing BBC iPlayer with IPVanish, you can switch to another VPN with a large server network in the UK and better stealth technology.
An extensive server network reduces the likelihood that BBC iPlayer will have tagged and blocked every server your VPN owns (using their IP addresses).
Only premium VPNs like ExpressVPN and NordVPN have powerful enough stealth tools and large enough networks to bypass BBC iPlayer’s VPN block.
Once you’ve chosen a VPN, here’s what to do:
- Sign up to your VPN. We recommend ExpressVPN or NordVPN, because they’re the best for BBC iPlayer and every other streaming site.
- Download the VPN app to your BBC iPlayer device.
- Connect to a server in the UK.
- Clear your cache and cookies to ensure BBC iPlayer has no record of your location from earlier sessions.
- Sign in to BBC iPlayer and enjoy unrestricted streaming.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Do I need a VPN to watch BBC iPlayer?” answer=”
You do not need a VPN to watch BBC iPlayer if you’re in the UK.
However, a VPN can be useful if you want to watch BBC iPlayer from outside the UK. A VPN can also help you to protect your privacy and security when you are streaming online.
We recommend ExpressVPN if you’re trying to access BBC iPlayer outside the UK. It has fast, streaming-optimized servers, a proprietary Lightway VPN protocol that delivers consistent connections across the globe, and industry-best privacy features.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”What are the best alternatives to IPVanish for BBC iPlayer?” answer=”
There are a number of good alternatives to IPVanish for BBC iPlayer. Some of the most popular options include NordVPN, Surfshark, ExpressVPN, etc.
These VPNs have a good track record of working with BBC iPlayer, and they offer fast speeds and strong security features.
The battle between VPNs and streaming services will never end. Streaming services are constantly developing new methods to restrict VPN use, and VPNs are constantly trying to bypass them.
If IPVanish isn’t working on your BBC iPlayer device, try the quick fixes suggested in this guide. If you still can’t access your favorite shows, you might need an alternative BBC iPlayer VPN, like ExpressVPN or Surfshark.
Alternatively, you can read our other VPN reviews to find out which is right for you.