Why ExpressVPN might Not Work with Netflix & How to Fix It
ExpressVPN is one of the best VPNs on the market. It has some of the fastest servers, the latest technologies, airtight privacy features, and its speed makes it a top choice for streaming.
Yet, you might encounter a situation where ExpressVPN isn’t working with Netflix. Don’t worry. It’s not uncommon. Netflix takes extraordinary measures to block all VPNs from accessing its services.
There are workarounds, though, and we’ll explore all of them in this article. If they don’t work, we’ll give you the best alternative VPNs to switch to. Let’s start.
How to stream Netflix with ExpressVPN
First, we need to ensure you have ExpressVPN configured correctly to work with Netflix.
The process is generally the same for all ExpressVPN’s apps across different device types.
Here’s how to do it:
- Sign up for ExpressVPN. If you’re uncertain, you can use the risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee for a test run.
- Download the app to your favorite device and ensure it’s up-to-date.
- Connect to a server in the country you want to stream Netflix from.
- Clear your browser cache and cookies to ensure a fresh connection. Clear the Netflix app as well.
- Sign in to Netflix and enjoy unrestricted streaming.
You can try switching servers within your intended location if you can’t connect to Netflix the first time. If that doesn’t work, we have a few other ideas to help you. Just keep reading.
How well does ExpressVPN work with Netflix?
ExpressVPN has an extensive network of high-speed servers that are more than capable of streaming Netflix in the highest quality.
We tested ExpressVPN’s streaming speeds with Netflix and found it averaged 91 Mbps. Many factors affect speed, like how far away your VPN server is. However, ExpressVPN is fast enough for 4K streaming even when connected to far-away servers.
With over 3,000 servers in 94+ countries, you can view content from the best Netflix libraries in the world. We easily accessed over 20 international libraries, including the US, the UK, Canada, and Australia.
ExpressVPN is easy to use and has the most advanced security, privacy, and speed technologies. It’s developed its own protocol (how VPNs package and transmit data over the internet) called Lightway, which is both fast and lightweight, making it suitable for your mobile devices, too.
ExpressVPN is an amazing product, but, like all VPNs, it can face some issues working with Netflix. Let’s find out why.
Why does ExpressVPN not work with Netflix?
Netflix strives to protect its broadcasting and copyright agreements, and that’s why it puts so much effort into trying to block VPNs. The best VPNs usually find their way around Netflix’s measures, leaving us in a perpetual cat-and-mouse game.
However, some other factors may contribute to ExpressVPN not working with Netflix. Here are a few and their solutions.
1. There could be a system error. This typical technical error sometimes occurs with all hardware and software.
Solution: Restart ExpressVPN or your device.
2. Netflix is reading old data from your cache and cookies. Your historical location data could conflict with the location presented by your VPN’s IP address.
Solution: Clear your cache and cookies or use incognito mode.
3. Your ExpressVPN server is blocked. Netflix keeps a record of servers it identifies as VPNs and blocks them from ever accessing its service. ExpressVPN’s 3,000+ servers give you more than enough options to switch.
Solution: Try another server in the same location.
4. Netflix is using your GPS information to establish your location. Netflix apps can periodically log your location information when you turn on your GPS. This may clash with the VPN information being provided to the streamer.
Solution: This is harder to solve, and you might need a GPS spoofing app to fake your location.
5. ExpressVPN doesn’t have a server in the country you want. ExpressVPN has servers in more than 90 countries. But if it doesn’t have a server in the country with your desired Netflix library, you can’t access content there.
Solution: Use a VPN with servers in more countries ExpressVPN has missed, such as NordVPN or Surfshark.
Best alternative VPNs for streaming Netflix
The VPNs below are the best in the world and the top alternative to ExpressVPN for accessing Netflix content.
We’ve tested them rigorously and shared the full results in our complete VPN reviews.
[[post-object type=”summary-section” pros-cons=”true” /]]
Do free VPNs work with Netflix?
Almost no free VPNs work with Netflix because it easily spots their servers due to small networks and out-of-date IP masking software.
But you should skip free VPNs for many other reasons if you’re trying to access Netflix. Here are the biggest:
- Limited server locations you can access. You’l most likely be limited to a couple of servers in the US and maybe two other countries, max.
- Too slow for HD Netflix. Even streaming in standard definition isn’t smooth – you’ll encounter a lot of buffering.
- Frustrating ads. You’ll get a pop-up every few minutes urging you to upgrade to the premium plan or promoting some other product. It’s irritating, to say the least.
- No privacy. Free VPNs often sell your browsing information to data brokers. The consequences range from getting micro-targeted ads to your credit card and identity information potentially falling into criminal hands.
- Malware risk. Free VPNs have been caught infecting users’ devices with malware that open backdoors to hackers and other malicious actors.
If you’re worried about spending money, plenty of cheap VPNs work with Netflix for just a couple of dollars a month.
Stick to those and avoid free VPNs altogether.
How we tested ExpressVPN and others with Netflix
We’ve devised strict criteria for testing VPNs after years of using and reviewing them. For this, we focused our analysis on the VPN’s compatibility with Netflix while factoring in other important aspects.
Here’s a sample of our criteria:
- Server network: We only recommend VPNs with global server networks spread throughout many countries.
- Connection speeds: We test every VPN to ensure it’s fast enough for 4K HD streaming, even if you connect to servers far away.
- Access to content: Every VPN on this list works with Netflix and other popular streamers, including Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and BBC iPlayer.
- Security: The top VPNs keep you safe thanks to the latest cybersecurity tools, including 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and much more.
- Privacy: We looked for VPNs that hide your location and identity through a mix of IP address masking, anti-tracking tools, ad blockers, and similar software.
- Value: VPNs don’t have to be expensive. The best VPNs offer simple, affordable plans and generous money-back guarantees.
- Ease of use: VPNs are a complicated technology, but they don’t have to be difficult to use. Our favorite VPNs are all very beginner-friendly.
- Customer support: Look for VPNs that offer 24/7 live support with human agents, video tutorials and troubleshooting, and other support channels.
You can use our VPN testing guide to assess which VPN is the best VPN for you.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”How do I bypass Netflix’s VPN block?” answer=”
The best way to bypass Netflix’s VPN block is with a VPN. However, only the best premium VPNs are powerful enough to go undetected by Netflix. Our favorites are ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and Surfshark.
Every VPN that works with Netflix is very similar. Here’s how to set them up to ensure you can access content on the streaming site:
- Sign up to a VPN. We recommend ExpressVPN, because it’s the best for Netflix and every other streaming site.
- Download the VPN app to your Netflix device.
- Connect to a server in the country with your preferred Netflix library.
- Clear your cache and cookies to ensure Netflix has no record of your actual location from previous sessions.
- Sign in to Netflix and enjoy unrestricted streaming.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Why did Netflix block my VPN?” answer=”
Netflix blocks VPNs due to copyright issues and broadcast licenses.
Everything Netflix offers for streaming – including TV shows and movies and its in-house productions – is bound by regional restrictions related to copyright laws and broadcast licenses dictating where something can be distributed online. If Netflix doesn’t enforce these restrictions, it will lose access to partner content or face criminal prosecution.
Netflix knows that most people using a VPN to access its content are trying to get around these restrictions. As a result, it tries to block all VPNs from accessing its website and apps.
If you want to use a VPN without getting blocked by Netflix, we suggest ExpressVPN or NordVPN. They use advanced VPN cloaking technology to fly under the radar and bypass Netflix’s detection tools. Most other VPNs – especially free ones – eventually get caught.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Will Netflix ban me for using a VPN?” answer=”
Netflix will not ban you for using a VPN.
If Netflix banned everyone for using a VPN, it would risk losing millions – maybe billions – of revenue in canceled subscriptions. Instead, by blocking VPN servers, Netflix tries to force you into using its services directly.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Can I change my country in Netflix?” answer=”
You can only change your country in Netflix using a VPN.
Netflix sets your account’s location based on the IP address of your device when you log in. Your IP address is fixed, based on your physical location when connecting to the internet. To change your Netflix location, you need to change your IP address.
To change your IP address, download a VPN with servers located worldwide. Each server will have a unique IP address that you can use instead of your own. Connect to a server in, say, the US, and Netflix will think that’s where you’re based.
We recommend ExpressVPN and NordVPN for Netflix, as they’re the most powerful VPNs and invest heavily in going undetected by Netflix. The streamer will block most other VPNs, especially free ones.
Finding a VPN that works better with Netflix than ExpressVPN is difficult.
However, if ExpressVPN isn’t working with Netflix, you have plenty of great backup options and quick fixes to resolve the issue.
You can try every VPN alternative we’ve recommended with a risk-free money-back guarantee. So, shop around and see which one works for you.