The 5 Best Ad-Blockers for Microsoft Edge
The Microsoft Edge browser was built to be lightweight and powerful, but those pesky ads make it feel clunky and slow. Not to worry, though – an ad-blocker is all you need to get Edge running smoothly and distraction-free.
But with so many ad-blockers to choose from, we know it’s difficult to find the right one for your device and needs. So we did all the work for you.
We’ve put the most popular Microsoft Edge ad-blockers through intensive tests and found the five best. Each one blocks ads on the browser with minimal impact on speed or performance. Many also offer protection against malware and insidious tracking.
Read on to find the best ad-blocker for Microsoft Edge.
What’s the best ad-blocker for Microsoft Edge? Our top 5 picks
If you’re in a rush, here are the five top ad-blockers for Microsoft Edge:
Why are these the best ad-blockers for Microsoft Edge in 2023?
We rigorously tested every ad-blocker, ensuring they met strict criteria. You can use the same standards when deciding which is best for you.
Here’s what to look for:
- Restricts all ads, including on video streaming websites
- Has a fully functional free version
- Worthwhile premium versions
- Customization options
- Restricts targeted ad and social media tracking
- Minimized battery drain on mobile devices
- Compatible with Microsoft Edge browser
The best ad-blockers for Microsoft Edge: an in-depth analysis
Now that we know how to pick an ad-blocker for Microsoft Edge, let’s focus on the five best, and why they made our list.
[[post-object type=”summary-section” pros-cons=”true” /]]
How to choose the best ad-blockers for Microsoft Edge
We use a long list of criteria before recommending the best ad-blockers for Microsoft Edge. You can use the same standards when deciding which one suits you.
The qualities we looked for in each ad-blocker included:
- Works against every ad: We’ve only listed ad-blockers that block pop-ups, banners, video ads, and more.
- Also blocks trackers: Every ad-blocker on this list also stops websites from collecting your data and selling it to advertisers.
- Lots of customization: You can filter ads, allow some, whitelist certain websites, and much more.
- Easy to use: You can install every ad-blocker we’ve recommended onto your Microsoft Edge with just a few clicks.
- Lightweight: Every ad-blocker we’ve listed works without impacting your mobile device’s battery, CPU, browser speed, and page load times. In fact, they might speed everything up.
Microsoft Edge ad-blocker FAQs
How do I block ads on Microsoft Edge?
You can block ads on Microsoft Edge by using a good ad-blocker. You’ll generally get better results with paid ad-blockers, but most offer their browser extensions for free, and they work just as well.
You can download ad-blockers for Microsoft Edge as a browser extension, standalone app, or as part of a cybersecurity package like a VPN or antivirus.
Which AdBlock is best for Microsoft Edge?
Total AdBlock is the best ad-blocker for Microsoft Edge. The paid version comes with additional cybersecurity features, like an antivirus, and the free version blocks all ads comprehensively.
Does Microsoft Edge have Adblock?
Microsoft Edge has features that block pop-ups, notifications, and alerts, but it doesn’t include Adblock’s software by default. If you want to use Adblock on Microsoft Edge, you need to install it as a browser extension or standalone app on your device.
Three more ways to install an ad-blocker on Microsoft Edge
You don’t have to rely on a browser extension to block ads on Microsoft Edge. Here are three alternatives that can also block ads on your apps, encrypt your data via a VPN, and add multiple layers of protection courtesy of a complete antivirus package.
Standalone ad-blocking apps
If you want to block ads on your entire device – not just your browser – follow these steps:
- Download the ad-blocker app to your device. We recommend Total Adblock.
- Open the app and set it up for your device.
- Restart your browser and any apps that are running (may be easier to restart your device).
- Wave goodbye to annoying ads.
Top VPNs usually include built-in ad-blockers. Once you’ve installed the VPN on your device, you can find the ad-blockers in its configuration settings.
- Subscribe to a VPN with ad-blocking. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN on your device.
- Open the VPN and activate the ad-blocker.
- Connect to the VPN’s secure servers.
- Restart Microsoft Edge and any apps you have running.
- You’re done!
Our favorite antivirus packages also offer ad-blockers for Microsoft Edge and every other browser and app on your device. Installation is easy:
- Subscribe to an antivirus that features an ad-blocker. We recommend Norton 360.
- Download and install the antivirus on your device.
- Activate the ad-blocker and other available settings.
- Restart your device.
- You’re good to go!
Picking the right ad-blocker for Microsoft Edge is the difference between a smooth, pleasurable browsing experience, and an online session bombarded with pop-ups, banners, and random automated videos at the bottom corner of your screen.
The five we’ve recommended will keep your online activity unobstructed while remaining lightweight, highly customizable, and affordable (or free). And importantly, they’ll offer a level of protection from accidentally clicking on links to malware sites.
You can try all of these either for free or using money-back guarantees on the premium ones.