Surfshark not Connecting with Hulu? Easy Solutions Here
Is your Surfshark app not working with Hulu? Don’t panic. It’s not a unique issue, and is usually easy to solve.
In this guide, we’ll show you the most common fixes to ensure you can access Hulu using Surfshark. And if those don’t work, we’ll give you the best alternative VPNs to switch to.
How to stream Hulu with Surfshark
First, let’s make sure you’ve configured Surfshark correctly to work with Hulu.
The process is the same for every Surfshark app, regardless of your device (iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, etc.).
Here’s what to do:
- Sign up for Surfshark. You can use the 30-day money-back guarantee for a risk-free test run.
- Download the app to your Hulu device.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Clear your browser cache and cookies (ensures no historical location data). Clear the Hulu app as well.
- Sign in to Hulu and enjoy your favorite shows!
Switch servers to different locations within the US if you can’t connect to Hulu the first time. If that doesn’t work, keep reading for more solutions.
How well does Surfshark work with Hulu?
Surfshark is one of the best VPNs for Hulu, thanks to state-of-the-art privacy and IP masking tools that can trick even the toughest anti-VPN detection tools.
Surfshark also has an extensive network of high-speed servers in the US that never get crowded with users and rarely get detected by streaming sites.
Our global test team connected to Surfshark’s US servers from Europe, Asia, and Africa and could stream Hulu in 4K HD with minimum buffering. Surfshark uses lightweight VPN protocols and the latest software to ensure a smooth, reliable, fast connection from anywhere.
Surfshark is one of the best streaming VPNs available, but like any technology, it can face some issues. Let’s explore the most common technical issues for why it’s not working with Hulu.
Why isn’t Surfshark working with Hulu?
Hulu is a US-only streaming site. It’s not available anywhere else in the world, and due to its copyright and broadcast licenses, it must actively block anyone outside the US from accessing its content.
To ensure this, Hulu invests heavily in detecting and blocking VPN servers, as most people use VPNs to access its content outside the US. Even if you’re in the US and using a VPN like Surfshark to improve your online privacy, Hulu will still block you.
The best VPNs for Hulu constantly find ways around its blocks – but it’s not easy. They’re in a constant game of cat and mouse with the streamer.
However, technical factors and software limitations in Surfshark can contribute to it not working with Hulu. Here are the most common:
1. Surfshark has a software glitch. Every software tool occasionally experiences technical faults, so don’t be concerned if it happens.
Solution: Restart your Surfshark app or your device.
2. Hulu is reading old location data from your browser or device. Every time you log into Hulu, it records your location. If you’ve previously logged in without a VPN, it may have your actual location on record.
Solution: Clear your cache and cookies or use Hulu on your browser’s incognito mode.
3. Hulu has blocked your Surfshark server. Hulu records every VPN server it identifies and blocks them to a “block list.”
Solution: Try another Surfshark server in the US.
4. Hulu is using your GPS information to establish your location. Hulu’s mobile apps can access your device’s GPS data (from Google Maps and other apps). This may clash with the location displayed by your Surfshark server.
Solution: You’ll have to stream Hulu on your device’s browser (Chrome, Safari, etc.) using incognito mode or a GPS spoofing app.
Best alternatives to Surfshark for streaming Hulu
If you’ve tried everything, and Surfshark still isn’t working with Hulu, you might need to switch to a different VPN.
We’ve tested countless VPNs against Hulu and every other popular streaming site (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, etc.) and found only five we recommend.
Take a quick look at them below, or read our complete VPN reviews, to see exactly how every VPN performs in streaming, privacy, security, value, and much more.
[[post-object type=”summary-section” pros-cons=”true” /]]
Do free VPNs work with Hulu?
Most free VPNs don’t work with Hulu because they’re not advanced enough to bypass its detection tools, their server networks are too small, and they’re too slow for streaming.
However, these are just the technical reasons to avoid free VPNs if you’re trying to access Hulu. There are also safety and privacy concerns.
Because free VPNs don’t generate revenue from subscriptions, they often resort to much shadier ways of making money from you. We’ve witnessed free VPNs:
- Selling user data to advertisers and data brokers.
- Bombarding users with ads promoting their paid plans or other random products.
- Hosting malware and hackers on their networks for a fee.
Plenty of excellent cheap VPNs are compatible with Hulu (and every other streamer), only charge you a couple of dollars a month, and don’t bombard you with ads or risk your safety by exploiting your data and exposing you to malware.
If you want to stream with peace of mind, enjoying your favorite shows buffer-free and without the risk of data leaks or online attacks, skip most free VPNs.
How we tested Surfshark and others with Hulu
We’ve tested hundreds of VPNs over the last few years and developed a set of criteria each one must pass before we recommend them.
When it comes to Hulu, we looked for premium VPNs that deliver fast, reliable connections, enhanced privacy, and compatibility with the top streaming sites.
You can use our ranking factors to find the right VPN for you, which include:
- Server network: The best VPNs have thousands of servers across the globe, including many locations in the US.
- Connection speeds: Every VPN on this list should be fast enough to stream Hulu in HD regardless of your location.
- Access to content: We test every VPN to ensure it’s compatible with Hulu and other popular streamers, including Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, and BBC iPlayer.
- Security: Look for VPNs that use the latest cybersecurity to shield your data and device, including 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and automatic kill-switches.
- Privacy: Most top VPNs include extra privacy tools like IP address masking, anti-tracking tools, ad blockers, and similar software that hide your location and identity.
- Value: The best VPNs offer affordable, fixed subscription plans and generous money-back guarantees.
- Ease of use: VPNs are a complicated technology, but they don’t have to be difficult to use. Our favorite VPNs are all very beginner-friendly.
- Customer support: Look for VPNs that offer 24/7 live chat support, comprehensive video tutorials and troubleshooting guides, and active user communities.
Our complete VPN review process goes into even more detail, in case you want to know every aspect of how a VPN works, and which one to choose for Hulu (or any other purpose).
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Does Surfshark VPN work with Hulu?” answer=”
Yes, Surfshark VPN typically works with Hulu.
Surfshark has 600+ servers located in 25+ cities across the US, allowing you to access Hulu content from anywhere in the world. It also uses advanced privacy tools to hide the fact you’re using a VPN, so it goes undetected by Hulu’s anti-VPN tools.
However, like all software, Surfshark occasionally experiences glitches that prevent it from working with Hulu. These are usually easily fixed, but if they persist, you should consider another top Hulu VPN instead.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Has Hulu blocked VPNs?” answer=”
Hulu has implemented measures to block VPNs to enforce its location-based restrictions (also called ‘geo-restrictions’). However, top streaming VPNs like Surfshark can typically bypass these measures due to their large server networks and advanced privacy tools.
Due to advances in VPN technology, Hulu continues to update its anti-VPN measures, so you need a premium VPN that can keep up – or you risk losing access to your favorite Hulu shows any time you step out of the US.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Why does Hulu care if I use a VPN?” answer=”
Hulu cares if you use a VPN due to US licensing agreements and copyright laws. Hulu is only licensed to distribute its content within the US. It also has not expanded outside the US like its competitors Netflix and Amazon Prime Video.
So, it must block anyone outside the US from accessing its content or risk breaching its agreement with content providers and producers.
When you use a VPN to access Hulu’s content from outside the US, you’re creating a breach of its contracts for which it’s liable. So, Hulu, like every other streaming site, employs measures to detect and block VPN usage to ensure compliance with its licensing agreements and copyright laws.
Even if you’re based in the US, and using a VPN for privacy, Hulu will still block you as a precautionary measure.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Does Hulu work in the UK?” answer=”
Hulu does not work in the UK, as it’s only licensed to distribute content in the US.
If you want to watch Hulu in the UK, you need a VPN with large server networks in the US. This way, you can access IP addresses in the US, which is how Hulu determines your location. By choosing a VPN server with a US IP address, you’ll appear physically located in the country.
Using a VPN to access Hulu from the UK is very easy – it only takes five minutes to sign up and download one. However, only the most advanced VPNs work with Hulu, including NordVPN, Surfshark, and ExpressVPN. We suggest sticking to these three providers to get unrestricted access to Hulu from the UK or anywhere else.
Surfshark is one of the best VPNs for Hulu, but occasionally it runs into problems accessing the streaming site.
Follow the steps in the article to ensure it’s not a technical glitch in your Surfshark app. And if that doesn’t work, consider an alternative amongst the best streaming VPNs.