Best VPNs to Protect Yourself From Hackers
To fortify your online defenses and protect yourself from hackers, choosing the right VPN is crucial.
Not every VPN can provide the level of security needed to safeguard online activities. You require a VPN that excels in both security and performance, ensuring you’re protected from ever more sophisticated cyber threats.
While many VPNs claim to offer top-notch security, most don’t deliver on their promises. To help you make an informed choice without the need for exhaustive testing, we’ve conducted extensive tests and identified the best VPNs to protect yourself from hackers:
[[post-object type=”steroid-list” /]]
[[post-object type=”loophole” id=”142″ /]]
In case you’re wondering how we picked these VPNs, here’s a quick breakdown of the criteria we used (more on this further down in the guide):
- Cutting-edge security features
- Strong focus on privacy, including strict “no-logs” policies
- An extensive, worldwide network of servers
- Fast connection speeds no matter where you’re based
- Work on numerous devices (Windows PC, Mac, iPhone, Android, and more)
We’ll delve into more detail on each aspect in this guide, and how each VPN performed. You can also scroll to the bottom to find a summary of our testing methodology for additional insights.
<p>[[post-object type=”versus-table” group-properties=”235,59,60,233,61,62,46,47,45,44,7,8,32″ single-properties=”452,453,434,13″ website=”true” ranking=”hacker protection” /]]
Best VPNs to protect yourself from hackers
Now that you know how we chose these VPNs, let’s take a closer look at each one.
By the time you finish reading, you’ll have a good idea of which VPN is best to protect yourself from hackers, based on how well they perform, the security they provide, and other important features.
[[post-object type=”summary-section” pros-cons=”true” /]]
How we tested the best VPNs for hacker protection
The right VPN is your all-encompassing solution for a seamless online experience and enhanced online security, protecting you from potential hackers.
Here’s what you should look for when picking one:
- Global server network: The best VPNs have thousands of servers in countries worldwide, including smaller countries like Albania.
- Fast enough for HD streaming: You’ll need a fast enough connection to ensure online security, privacy and protection against hackers.
- Unlimited bandwidth: The best VPNs don’t enforce any usage limits, allowing you to engage in secure online activities while safeguarding your privacy.
- Airtight security: We only recommend VPNs that offer industry-best security, including 256-bit AES encryption, server obfuscation, automatic kill-switches, RAM-only servers, and much more.
- Transparent privacy policies: Our top VPNs are regularly audited by independent firms to confirm they’re maintaining your security and privacy.
- Easy-to-use apps: We only recommend VPNs that even the least tech-savvy people can use.
- Good value: Look for VPNs offering simple subscriptions and at least 30-day money-back guarantees.
These are just a few factors we assess before endorsing a VPN. Explore our comprehensive VPN review process for a full list to guide your choice for enhanced online security and protection from hackers.
How to setup a VPN to enhance online security
Once you’ve chosen a VPN from our recommended list, securing yourself from potential hackers is straightforward. VPNs might seem complex, but their usage is remarkably user-friendly.
You can bolster your online security against hackers by following these simple steps:
- Pick a VPN. We recommend ExpressVPN.
- Download the VPN app onto your device(s).
- Open the VPN app and follow the basic setup instructions.
- Open the VPN’s settings and ensure the WireGuard protocol is turned on.
For added security, clear your browser’s cache and cookies. This will help remove your initial IP address from the servers and websites you’ve recently visited, making the VPN more effective in protecting you from hackers.
Can I use a free VPN to protect myself from hackers?
Most free VPNs raise significant security concerns.
Free VPNs have limited server networks that are easily detected by restricted platforms and websites. Even if you find a VPN with a large server network, it might still throttle your connection, leaving you exposed and potentially blocked.
However, there are also serious safety risks when using a free VPN.
Because free VPNs don’t charge a subscription fee, they often resort to less honest methods to generate profit. We’ve witnessed free VPNs:
- Harvest your data and sell it to advertisers, data brokers, and hackers.
- Insert ads into your browser. Sometimes the ads are for the VPN’s paid plans, and other times they’re for completely random products you’ll never buy.
- Host hackers and tracking software on their servers for a fee.
There are plenty of excellent cheap VPNs that don’t compromise your safety or deliver a terrible experience. Use them instead of a free VPN and save yourself a lot of headaches.
VPNs to protect yourself from hackers FAQs
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”What criteria should I consider when choosing a VPN for hacker protection?” answer=”
When choosing a VPN for hacker protection, you should consider the following criteria:
- Ensure the VPN employs robust encryption like AES-256 to protect your data from hackers.
- Look for a VPN with a strict no-logging policy to safeguard your online activity.
- Prioritize VPNs with a kill-switch to prevent exposure of your IP address if the VPN connection drops.
- Opt for a VPN with an extensive server network across various locations for reliability and speed.
- Research user reviews to gauge the VPN’s reputation and service quality.
In addition to these criteria, you may also want to consider the following factors:
- Choose a VPN known for fast speeds to enable smooth streaming and downloading.
- Consider your budget and select a VPN that aligns with it.
- Pick a VPN that is easy to set up and use.
- Ensure the VPN offers reliable customer support to assist with any issues you may encounter.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Can a VPN prevent my personal data from being stolen by hackers?” answer=”
Yes, a VPN can prevent your personal data from being stolen by hackers. A VPN encrypts your internet traffic, which makes it very difficult for hackers to intercept and read your data. Additionally, a VPN hides your IP address, which makes it more difficult for hackers to track you down.
However, it is important to note that a VPN is not a silver bullet. Hackers are constantly developing new ways to attack VPNs, and no VPN is 100% secure. However, a good VPN can make it much more difficult for hackers to steal your data.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”How do I set up and use a VPN to enhance online security?” answer=”
To set up and use a VPN to enhance online security, follow these steps:
- Select a reputable VPN, we recommend ExpressVPN.
- Get the VPN app for your device and install it.
- Create an account with your information and payment details.
- Log in using your account credentials.
- Pick a server based on your preferences (location, speed, security) and connect.
- Customize settings like a kill-switch or security protocols if needed.
Enjoy enhanced online security with encrypted data and protected privacy.
VPNs offer the easiest and most secure means to access online content, enhance overall privacy, and bypass restrictions. However, it’s important to keep in mind that many online platforms actively attempt to block VPNs, and using one might violate their terms.
You can test the best VPNs without risk thanks to their money-back guarantees. Once you find the right fit, you’ll enjoy enhanced security and privacy, ensuring your online activities remain protected, regardless of your location.