Best 5 VPNs for TP-Link router
TP-Link routers benefit considerably from pairing with a VPN.
However, given the vast array of VPNs available and the unique characteristics of TP-Link routers, selecting the right VPN can be challenging. Fortunately, we’ve done the heavy lifting for you. We have narrowed the list to the five best VPNs compatible with TP-Link routers.
In a hurry? Here they are:
[[post-object type=”steroid-list” /]]
[[post-object type=”versus-table” group-properties=”235,59,60,233,61,62,46,47,45,44,7,8,32″ single-properties=”452,453,434,13″ website=”true” ranking=”TP-Link” /]]
Here’s a quick outline of the criteria we employed in choosing these VPNs (keep reading for more details):
- Plenty of servers around the globe
- Fast, reliable connections
- Unlimited bandwidth (no limit to how much you can stream)
- Access any content, including popular global streaming sites
- Work on numerous devices (Windows PC, Mac, iPhone, Android, and more)
- Strong focus on privacy, including strict “no-logs” policies
Deep dive: The best VPNs for TP-Link router
Now, let’s delve into a detailed review of the best VPNs for TP-Link routers. We’ll guide you through each option, highlighting their features and why we think they’re excellent choices for TP-Link routers.
For an even deeper dive, read our complete VPN reviews.
[[post-object type=”loophole” id=”152″ /]]
[[post-object type=”summary-section” pros-cons=”true” /]]
How to setup a VPN for TP-Link routers
To set up a VPN for your TP-Link router, all you need to do is follow these steps:
- Select a VPN for your TP-Link network. We recommend ExpressVPN, Surfshark, or NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN directly onto your TP-Link router.
- Configure the VPN settings within the router’s web interface to tailor the protection to your preferences.
- Establish a connection to your VPN through the TP-Link router.
- Enjoy the enhanced security and privacy the VPN provides across your TP-Link network.
You can enjoy a seamless online experience on your TP-Link router!
If you still have trouble accessing online content, try clearing your browser’s cache and cookies. Then, reconnect to your VPN and reload the page to continue streaming without interruptions.
Methodology: how we tested the best VPNs for TP-Link routers
Our testing process for finding the best VPNs for TP-Link routers focused on critical features that ensure optimal content access and an enhanced online experience:
- Extensive server network: We specifically recommended VPNs with a vast network of secured servers worldwide.
- Universal content access: The VPNs we selected can access various streaming sites globally, overcoming geo-restrictions on different websites, including financial and personal ones.
- Fast connection speeds: We picked VPNs that maintain fast internet speeds for HD streaming and consistent global connectivity.
- Lightweight: All the VPNs listed are designed to be light on your mobile device’s resources, like battery and CPU, and they won’t slow down your browsing or page loading times. They might even make things faster.
- Top-notch security: Our list includes VPNs with the best security features, like 256-bit AES encryption, IP leak protection, and automatic kill-switches. These were all thoroughly tested for effectiveness.
- User-friendly interface: We selected easy VPNs to set up and use, avoiding complicated or cumbersome providers.
- Affordability: We considered each VPN’s cost, refund policy, and customer support to ensure they’re cost-effective and have fair practices.
We conducted thorough testing that included switching between servers, interacting extensively with customer support, streaming in HD, and performing detailed checks for any leaks in location and data.
See our detailed VPN testing methodology overview for a more in-depth look at our methods.
Can I use a free VPN with TP-Link routers?
Using a free VPN with TP-Link routers might be possible, but we don’t recommend it.
VPNs are complex software and need constant updates to protect against new online threats and advanced hacking techniques. Premium VPNs like ExpressVPN and Surfshark charge a small monthly fee to invest in such updates.
In contrast, free VPNs can’t use subscription revenue to stay up-to-date. This leads to two significant problems.
1. They provide a low-quality product.
Free VPNs usually have slow speeds, unreliable connections, and trouble accessing geo-blocked sites. They often have data limits, leaving much of your online activity unprotected.
2. They practice shady, dishonest business practices.
Many free VPNs use dubious practices, like tracking and selling your private data, adding ads to your browsing, or even having malware in their systems.
Furthermore, installing a VPN on a router is a lot more technical than your phone or laptop. Only the most advanced VPN, like ExpressVPN and NordVPN, are compatible with routers and easy to set up on one.
If you’re on a strict budget, the best cheap VPNs offer excellent security on most devices, including routers, without compromising your security. Stick to one of them.
VPN for TP-Link router FAQs
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Why do I need a VPN for my TP-Link router?” answer=”
You should use a VPN for your TP-Link router for several reasons, including:
- Enhanced security and privacy: A VPN boosts your security and privacy by encrypting your data, hiding your location, preventing data leaks, and much more.
- Access geo-restricted content: By hiding your location, a VPN helps you bypass censorship and location-based restrictions on the internet, so you can access any content from across the globe.
- Improve online performance: A premium VPN like ExpressVPN makes your internet faster and more stable, reducing lag or buffering while streaming or gaming.
- Protect your smart devices: Installing a VPN on your router secures smart home devices like thermostats and security cameras by encrypting their data and hiding them behind a firewall.
This is just a sample. If you’re still not convinced, check out the top reasons you need a VPN on any device – not just your router.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Why is my VPN not working with a TP-Link router?” answer=”
There are several reasons why your VPN might not be working with your TP-Link router. Here are some of the most common reasons:
- Incorrect VPN settings: Ensure your VPN settings are correct, including your VPN’s login credentials and server address. Double-check these details to ensure everything is accurate.
- Incompatible VPN protocols: Verify that your VPN supports the OpenVPN or WireGuard protocols, compatible with the TP-Link router’s VPN passthrough functionality. If your VPN uses a different protocol, it may not work with the TP-Link router.
- TP-Link router settings: Ensure your TP-Link router is configured correctly for VPN passthrough. This may involve enabling VPN passthrough in the router’s settings and selecting the appropriate bridge or DHCP & NAT mode.
- Firewall restrictions: Firewall settings on your TP-Link router or individual devices may block the VPN connection. Check your firewall settings to ensure the ports for OpenVPN or WireGuard are open and allowed.
- Network congestion: If your network is experiencing heavy traffic, this could impact the VPN connection. Try restarting your router and other network devices to see if that improves performance.
- VPN issues: Contact your VPN customer service to check if there are any known issues or outages affecting their service. They may provide specific troubleshooting steps or updates to address any problems.
- TP-Link router firmware: Ensure your TP-Link router is running the latest version. Outdated firmware can sometimes cause compatibility issues with VPNs. Check for firmware updates in the TP-Link app or on the TP-Link website.
If you’ve checked all of these potential causes and your VPN is still not working, contact TP-Link support for further assistance. They may have more in-depth troubleshooting steps or identify specific issues related to your TP-Link router model.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”What should I do if my VPN is not working with my TP-Link router?” answer=”
- Check your VPN server: Ensure the VPN server you’re using is working. You can contact your VPN provider or look at their status page.
- Review VPN settings: Double-check your TP-Link router’s VPN settings. Ensure you’ve correctly entered the correct type (like PPTP or OpenVPN), server address, login details, and encryption.
- Enable VPN passthrough: Turn on VPN passthrough in your router’s settings. This lets VPN traffic go through your router without being blocked.
- Disable firewalls temporarily: Turn off any firewalls or security software temporarily to see if they affect the VPN.
- Update your router: Ensure your TP-Link router has the latest firmware update.
- Try different VPN protocols: If possible, switch to a different VPN protocol (like PPTP, L2TP, or OpenVPN) and see if that helps.
- Contact VPN support: If you still have issues, contact your VPN provider’s support team.
- Use a different VPN: If your router’s VPN isn’t working, use a VPN on your device instead.
- Reset your router: If nothing else works, reset your TP-Link router to its factory settings. Remember, this will erase all your settings.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”How does a VPN enhance a TP-Link router’s gaming or streaming experience?” answer=”
A VPN enhances gaming or streaming on a TP-Link router in the following ways:
- Improved security and privacy: A VPN encrypts all your internet traffic, making it much more difficult for hackers or malicious actors to intercept and steal your personal information.
- Protection against online attacks: A VPN hides your IP address, significantly reducing the likelihood you’ll be successfully targeted in DDoS attacks, swatting, and other common tricks in the gaming world.
- Access to geo-restricted content: Many games are only available in certain countries. A VPN can help bypass these restrictions by masking your IP address and making it appear as if you are in a different country.
- Smoother connection: A fast VPN like ExpressVPN makes your internet connection much more stable, reducing lag and similar issues while you game.
- Bypass bandwidth throttling: By hiding your online activity, a VPN helps you bypass bandwidth throttling and other restrictions from your internet provider.
If you’re in a rush, we recommend ExpressVPN for gaming via your TP-Link router. But if you need more info, check out our guide to the best VPNs for gaming in 2024.
Choosing the correct VPN for your TP-Link router is crucial for a seamless and secure online experience across your entire home network.
We’ve highlighted the five best VPNs for TP-Link routers, which offer unrestricted access to content and robust data protection, help you bypass bandwidth restrictions, and add significant privacy and security, enhancing your browsing experience.
Thanks to their money-back guarantees, you can try out each of these VPNs without risk. But if you’re in a rush, our #1 recommendation is ExpressVPN. It’s fast, secure, and incredibly powerful.