IPVanish Not Working With Netflix? Here’s the Fix
There are many reasons for IPVanish not working with Netflix. And the best part: most of them are easy to fix.
However, if you can’t access Netflix via your IPVanish app, you may need to switch to a better alternative.
In this quick guide, we’ll show you the most common technical issues that stop IPVanish from working with Netflix and how to fix them. If that doesn’t work, we have a list of alternative VPNs you can try.
How to stream Netflix with IPVanish
Let’s make sure you’ve got IPVanish set up correctly.
IPVanish has different apps for various Netflix-compatible devices. But the installation process is roughly the same on all of them:
- Sign up for IPVanish. You can try it risk-free using the 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Download the latest version of the app onto your favorite Netflix device.
- Connect to a VPN server in the Netflix location of your choice.
- Clear the cache and cookies on both your browser and Netflix.
- Sign into Netflix and stream as usual.
NOTE: It’s crucial to clear your cache and cookies on any device or browser you’ve watched Netflix on. This step alone could be causing your issues accessing the service.
How well does IPVanish work with Netflix?
IPVanish is one of the best VPNs for Netflix, and usually works reliably with the streaming site.
Throughout our many tests, it has proven capable of accessing Netflix libraries worldwide and delivering buffer-free streaming.
IPVanish achieves this courtesy of its 5,800+ speed-optimized servers in 60+ countries – including all the most popular Netflix locations (the US, UK, Japan, etc.) and many smaller regional ones (Bulgaria and South Africa). Many servers are built for streaming, combining fast connections with airtight privacy to keep your location hidden.
IPVanish’s patented NordLynx VPN protocol delivers reliable connections, averaging 55 Mbps in our latest tests – fast enough for streaming in 4K HD. It also features SmartDNS technology, which allows you to stream on devices that don’t support VPNs, like your game consoles and smart TVs.
Why Isn’t IPVanish working with Netflix?
While IPVanish is one of the most powerful VPNs available, Netflix is constantly trying to thwart it and sometimes succeeds.
Every TV show and movie on Netflix is bound by local copyright laws, which dictate where it can (or can’t) be shown. Netflix is legally responsible for adhering to these laws and stopping people outside certain jurisdictions from viewing content.
For example, you’ve probably seen how much better Netflix US is than any other regional library, with hundreds of movies and shows not accessible from any other country. That’s because US copyright laws restrict Netflix from showing them anywhere else.
This is why Netflix invests heavily in blocking even the most advanced VPNs, including IPVanish, usually by identifying servers belonging to VPNs or looking for patterns that suggest VPN usage.
However, there are also some technical reasons why your IPVanish might not work with Netflix.
Here’s a brief breakdown of the most common reasons.
1. Netflix is reading old location data from your browser or device. Your old data will conflict with your current VPN data and cause an error on the Netflix app.
Solution: Clear your cache and cookies.
2. Netflix has identified and blocked the IPVanish server you’ve selected. It won’t accept connection requests from that server’s IP address. Luckily, IPVanish has numerous servers, and you can switch to another in the location.
Solution: Switch to another server in your desired location.
3. Netflix could use GPS information to establish your location. Mobile apps often log your location using GPS functions, such as when you open Google Maps. There is no way for IPVanish to hide this data.
Solution: Use a GPS spoofing app or access Netflix on your mobile browser.
4. IPVanish doesn’t have a server in your chosen country. IPVanish has a vast server network, but only in 60+ countries. If it doesn’t have a server in the country with a local Netflix library, you’ll be blocked from that content. For context, many top alternatives to IPVanish have servers in 90+ countries.
Solution: Switch to a VPN with servers in more countries than IPVanish, such as ExpressVPN or Surfshark.
Best alternative VPNs for streaming Netflix
The following VPNs are the best alternatives to IPVanish if you’re trying to access Netflix content.
We’ve tested each one for speed, server reliability, and compatibility with Netflix’s most popular libraries, and they excelled.
[[post-object type=”summary-section” pros-cons=”true” /]]
Do free VPNs work with Netflix?
Most free VPNs don’t work with Netflix because the streamer easily catches their limited servers.
However, that’s not the only reason we don’t recommend free VPNs. They come with a whole host of user experience and security concerns:
1. Limit your server locations. Most have servers in two to three countries that quickly get crowded with other free users.
2. Too slow for Netflix – or anything else. They either can’t deliver fast connections or throttle your connection so you eventually upgrade to their paid plan.
3. Come bundled with ads. They’re intrusive, irritating, and could be loaded with malware.
4. Sell your information to data brokers and advertisers. Your privacy will be compromised, and you can’t be sure what malware and trackers are installed on your device to track you.
5. Been caught hosting malware and hackers on their networks.
Plenty of excellent cheap VPNs work with Netflix and don’t compromise your safety or deliver bad service.
Save yourself a lot of headaches and stick to them.
How we tested IPVanish and others with Netflix
We use a long list of strict text criteria before recommending any VPN. Here’s a brief sample of what we look at:
- Server network: You need a VPN with thousands of servers across the globe to guarantee fast, reliable connections and access to content.
- Connection speeds: We tested every VPN to ensure it delivers fast, reliable, buffer-free HD streaming in numerous locations worldwide.
- Access to content: Make sure your VPN works with Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, and every other streaming site.
- Security: The best VPNs offer military-grade encryption, advanced VPN protocols, leak protections, automatic kill-switches, and much more to keep you safe.
- Privacy: Look for a VPN based in a privacy-friendly location, using RAM-only servers, following strict no-logs policies, and volunteering for third-party audits.
- Value: VPNs don’t have to be expensive. We only recommend premium providers with low-cost plans and money-back guarantees.
- Ease of use: We only suggest beginner-friendly VPNs that are simple to configure or troubleshoot.
- Customer support: Premium VPNs offer live 24/7 support with human agents, comprehensive tutorials, YouTube channels, and more.
Look at our complete VPN review process to see the full list and use it to guide you when choosing a VPN for Netflix – or anything else.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”I can’t connect to any location on the IPVanish Windows app” answer=”
If you can’t connect to any location on the IPVanish Windows app, your device data may clash with the app, and you have to reset it. To do so, just follow these steps:
- Completely exit from the IPVanish app. Head to the system tray (this symbol ^ on some desktops). Right-click on the IPVanish icon and exit from the app.
- Open Run. Type ‘Run’ on your search bar, or hold down ‘Windows-key + R.’
- Copy this address onto the Run box: ‘C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\;’ where C represents the drive you’ve installed Windows on.
- Delete the IPVanish folder. Find the IPVanish folder in the list and delete it. Be careful not to delete anything else, or another app may fail.
- Restart. You may want to restart your device, but at this point, you can restart IPVanish.
You should be able to connect to all available locations. If you can’t, contact IPVanish’s support team.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”How do I set up IPVanish for Mac?” answer=”
To set up IPVanish for Mac, you just need to follow a few easy steps:
- Sign up to IPVanish and select the plan you prefer. You may use the 30-day money-back guarantee on plans longer than a month to try it out.
- Download the app onto your Mac.
- Open the Downloads folder and find the downloaded IPVanish app.
- Install by dragging the app to the applications folder.
- Open the app and log in using your username and password.
- Allow IPVanish configurations to be installed
- Begin the tutorial if you need to, or click skip.
- Connect to your preferred server, and you’re done.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Why can’t I connect to the internet using IPVanish?” answer=”
If you can’t connect to the internet using IPVanish, there may be a small technical error in the app or your device.
Here’s what to do:
- Confirm your internet connection is working. Disconnect IPVanish and see if you can access any websites. Try this using Incognito mode as well. If you can get through, it means there’s an issue with IPVanish.
- Switch to a different IPVanish server. IPVanish has over 2,200 VPN servers worldwide. Connect to a new one and see if your internet connection is restored.
- Change your VPN protocol. Some devices, like smartphones and routers, don’t allow certain VPN protocols. Open your IPVanish app and change the VPN protocol in the settings.
- Change your DNS server configuration. IPVanish’s DNS server settings are another layer of security. However, no websites will load if there’s an issue with your DNS. This is a technical fix, so contact IPVanish’s customer support.
If you’re having trouble connecting to the internet using IPVanish, contact its customer support, who will provide detailed instructions on fixing the issue.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Can I use IPVanish in my country?” answer=”
IPVanish works in most countries. However, as a US company, it’s restricted from operating in the following countries and regions:
- North Korea
- South Sudan
- The Ukrainian regions of Crimea, Donetsk, Luhanska, and Sevastopol
IPVanish may also struggle to work in countries that restrict VPN use, like:
- The UAE
- Saudi Arabia
IPVanish does a marvelous job streaming international Netflix libraries. But, like all VPNs, you’ll occasionally experience issues.
The solutions we’ve listed should fix the issue.
If they don’t, the best alternative VPNs for Netflix will not only get you streaming again, but they’ll also give you a better VPN experience. Give NordVPN or ExpressVPN a try first using their 30-day money-back guarantees.
Or go through our other VPN reviews to find out which works for you.