IPVanish Not Working with Hulu? Here's How to Fix It
IPVanish is one of the best VPNs for Hulu and other streaming platforms.
However, you might encounter times when it doesn’t work with Hulu, often due to technical glitches. Don’t worry. They’re usually simple to fix.
In this quick guide, we’ll show you the best solutions for issues that prevent you from using IPVanish to access Hulu. And if those don’t work, we’ll give you the best alternative VPNs to switch to.
How to Stream Hulu with IPVanish
Before proceeding, let’s ensure that IPVanish is set up correctly to work with Hulu.
IPVanish has many apps for devices that you probably use to watch Hulu, including some smart TV models. However, the process is essentially the same for all of them.
Here’s how to do it:
- Sign up for IPVanish. You’ll get a 30-day money-back guarantee to try it risk-free.
- Download the app onto your preferred Hulu device. Make sure it’s the latest version.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Clear your browser or Hulu app cache and cookies.
- Open the Hulu app or sign in on your browser and stream as usual.
It’s essential to clear your cache and cookies if Hulu logged your location in a prior session. If you still can’t view Hulu, try connecting to a different server.
Or, keep reading to find alternative VPNs that work with Hulu if IPVanish is completely blocked.
How Well Does IPVanish Work with Hulu?
Generally, IPVanish works very well with Hulu, thanks to its vast network of servers in the US, many of which are optimized for streaming.
IPVanish offers a SOCKS5 proxy and a full VPN service with encryption. While the proxy ensures speedy connections, the VPN secures your data, making it ideal for streaming Hulu privately and reliably, even over public WiFi.
However, like any technology, IPvanish can encounter some issues. Let’s explore the most common technical issues for why it’s not working with Hulu.
Why Does IPVanish Not Work with Hulu
Hulu is a US-only streaming site. It’s not available anywhere else in the world, and due to its copyright and broadcast licenses, it must actively block anyone outside the US from accessing its content.
To ensure this, Hulu invests heavily in identifying and blocking VPN servers, as most people use VPNs to access its content outside the US. Even if you’re in the US and using a VPN like IPVanish to improve your online privacy, Hulu will still block you.
The best VPNs for Hulu constantly find ways around Hulu’s restrictions – but it’s not easy. They’re in a constant game of cat and mouse with the streamer.
However, technical factors and software limitations in IPVanish can also contribute to it not working with Hulu. Below are the most common:
1. IPVanish has a software glitch. Every software tool occasionally experiences technical faults, so don’t be concerned if it happens.
Solution: Restart your IPVanish app or your device.
2. Hulu is reading old location data from your browser or device. Every time you log into Hulu, it records your location. If you’ve previously logged in without a VPN, it may have your actual location on record.
Solution: Clear your cache and cookies or use Hulu in your browser’s incognito mode.
3. Hulu has blocked your IPVanish server. Hulu records every VPN server it identifies and blocks them to a “block list.”
Solution: Try another IPVanish server in the US.
4. Hulu is using your GPS information to establish your location. Hulu’s mobile apps can access your device’s GPS data (from Google Maps and other apps). This may clash with the location displayed by your IPVanish server.
Solution: You’ll have to stream Hulu on your device’s browser (Chrome, Safari, etc.) using incognito mode or a GPS spoofing app.
Best Alternative VPNs for Streaming Hulu
If you’ve done everything, and IPVanish is still not working with Hulu, you might need to try another VPN.
We’ve tested countless VPNs against Hulu and every other popular streaming site (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, BBC iPlayer, etc.) and discovered just five we recommend.
Take a quick look at them below, or read our complete VPN reviews, to see exactly how every VPN performs in terms of streaming, privacy, security, value, and much more.
[[post-object type=”summary-section” pros-cons=”true” /]]
Do Free VPNs Work with Hulu?
Most free VPNs don’t work with Hulu because their server networks are too small, stream too slowly, and are not sophisticated enough to bypass its detection tools. But these aren’t the only reasons to avoid free VPNs. There are also lots of privacy and safety concerns.
Free VPNs don’t generate revenue from subscriptions, so they often resort to much shadier ways of making money. We’ve seen free VPNs:
- Selling your data to data brokers, advertisers, and hackers.
- Bombarding you with ads promoting their paid plans or other random products.
- Hosting malware on their networks or providing back doors (for a fee).
Plenty of excellent cheap VPNs work with Hulu (and every other streamer) and won’t put you at risk, bombard you with ads, or restrict your access to servers and bandwidth.
If you want to stream with peace of mind and enjoy your favorite shows buffer-free, skip free VPNs altogether.
How We Tested IPVanish and Other VPNs With Hulu
We’ve developed strict criteria for testing VPNs over many years of publishing reviews. For this guide, we focused on each alternative to IPVanish’s compatibility with Hulu, connection speeds, and much more.
Here’s a sample of our ranking factors:
- Server network: We only recommend VPNs with thousands of servers spread throughout countries across the globe.
- Connection speeds: We check if every VPN is fast enough for HD streaming, even if you connect to far-away servers.
- Access to content: The top VPNs work with Hulu and other popular streamers, including Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, and BBC iPlayer.
- Security: Our favorite VPNs use the latest cybersecurity tools to keep you safe, including 256-bit AES encryption, DNS leak protection, and automatic kill-switches.
- Privacy: We looked for VPNs that hide your location and identity through a mix of IP address masking, anti-tracking tools, ad blockers, and similar software.
- Value: The best VPNs offer simple, affordable plans, and generous money-back guarantees.
- Ease of use: Just because VPNs are a complicated technology, they don’t have to be difficult to use. Our favorite VPNs are all very beginner-friendly.
- Customer support: Look for VPNs that offer 24/7 live support with human agents, video tutorials and troubleshooting, and other support channels.
You can use our VPN testing guide to assess which VPN is the best for you when choosing a VPN for Hulu – or anything else.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”How do I bypass Hulu’s VPN block?” answer=”
To bypass Hulu’s VPN block, you need a VPN with obfuscated servers and a huge server network in the US.
Obfuscated servers hide that you’re using a VPN to connect to the internet. So, Hulu will think you’re using your home network to access its content. An extensive server network reduces the likelihood that Hulu will have tagged and blocked every server your VPN owns (using their IP addresses).
Only premium VPNs like ExpressVPN and NordVPN have powerful enough obfuscation tools and large enough networks to bypass Hulu’s VPN block.
Once you’ve chosen a VPN, here’s what to do:
- Sign up to your VPN. We recommend ExpressVPN or NordVPN, because they’re the best for Hulu and every other streaming site.
- Download the VPN app to your Hulu device.
- Connect to a server in the US.
- Clear your cache and cookies to ensure Hulu has no record of your location from earlier sessions.
- Sign in to Hulu and enjoy unrestricted streaming.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Can you get IPVanish for free?” answer=”No, IPVanish doesn’t have a free version, but you can use the 30-day money-back guarantee when you sign up for the yearly subscription. This is convenient as you can try this VPN risk-free.” /]]
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”How can I watch Hulu outside the US?” answer=”
A premium VPN is the only way to watch Hulu outside the US. A VPN allows you to connect to the internet via secure servers across the globe. To watch Hulu, you connect to a server in the US that gives you an IP address in the country.
Once you’ve connected to a server with a US IP address, Hulu will think you’re physically located in the country and allow you access from anywhere in the world.
The best VPNs for a US IP address are NordVPN and Surfshark.
The battle between VPN providers and streaming services is never-ending. The streaming service will constantly develop methods to restrict VPN use. VPN providers will try to bypass them.
If IPVanish isn’t working on your Hulu device, try the quick fixes suggested in this guide. If you still can’t access your favorite shows, you might need an alternative Hulu VPN, like ExpressVPN or Surfshark.
Alternatively, you can read our other VPN reviews to find out which is ideal for you.