CyberGhost not Working with BBC iPlayer? Complete Guide
Is your CyberGhost app not working with BBC iPlayer? Don’t worry. It’s not an uncommon problem, and can usually be fixed easily.
In this quick guide, we’ll show you the most common solutions for problems that prevent you from accessing BBC iPlayer using CyberGhost. And if those don’t work, we’ll give you the best alternative VPNs to switch to.
How to stream BBC iPlayer with CyberGhost
First, let’s make sure your CyberGhost app is configured correctly for BBC iPlayer.
CyberGhost has apps for many devices that are compatible with BBC iPlayer, including some smart TV brands.
The setup process is generally the same for all of them:
- Sign up for CyberGhost. You’ll get a 30-day money-back guarantee to try it risk-free.
- Download the app onto your BBC iPlayer device.
- Connect to a server in the UK.
- Clear your browser or BBC iPlayer app cache and cookies.
- Sign in on your browser or the BBC iPlayer app.
Clearing your cache and cookies is essential in case BBC iPlayer has logged your location in a previous session.
If you still can’t access BBC iPlayer, connect to a different server. Or, keep reading to find alternative VPNs that work with BBC iPlayer if CyberGhost is completely blocked.
How well does CyberGhost work with BBC iPlayer?
Generally, CyberGhost works very well with BBC iPlayer, thanks to its many UK servers, most of which are optimized for streaming. It also uses lightweight VPN protocols and the latest software, which ensures a smooth, reliable, fast connection from anywhere.
Our global test team connected to CyberGhost’s UK servers from countries in Asia, Europe, and Africa and could stream BBC iPlayer in 4K HD with minimal buffering.
However, unlike many top VPNs, CyberGhost doesn’t offer obfuscated servers. This makes it more likely to get caught and blocked by BBC iPlayer. You may need to try different servers until you find one that works with the streamer.
A few technical issues may prevent CyberGhost from working with BBC iPlayer, which we’ll discuss now.
Why does CyberGhost not work with BBC iPlayer
BBC iPlayer is a UK-only streaming site. Due to its broadcast licenses, you’re not supposed to watch its content outside the country, even if you’re a UK citizen. As a result, it actively blocks anyone outside the UK from accessing its content.
BBC iPlayer also invests heavily in detecting and blocking VPN servers, as most people use VPNs to access its content outside the UK. Even if you’re in the UK and using CyberGhost to improve your online privacy, BBC iPlayer will still block you.
The best BBC iPlayer VPNs constantly find ways to bypass these blocks – but it’s not easy. They’re in a constant battle with the streamer.
However, software limitations and technical glitches in CyberGhost can also contribute. Here are the most common issues, and their solutions:
1. BBC iPlayer is reading old location data from your browser or device. Your old location will conflict with your VPN servers – causing an error on the BBC iPlayer app.
Solution: Clear your cache and cookies, and restart BBC iPlayer.
2. BBC iPlayer has identified and blocked your CyberGhost server. It won’t accept connection requests from that server’s IP address. CyberGhost has many UK servers, and you can switch to another easily in the app.
Solution: Switch to another server in the UK.
3. BBC iPlayer is using GPS to establish your location. Mobile apps often log your location by reading other apps using GPS – like Google Maps. There is no way for CyberGhost to hide this data.
Solution: Access BBC iPlayer on your mobile device’s browser or use a GPS spoofing app.
Best alternative VPNs for streaming BBC iPlayer
If you’ve exhausted all the solutions mentioned earlier and CyberGhost still can’t connect to BBC iPlayer, consider trying a different VPN.
After extensively testing numerous VPNs with BBC iPlayer and other well-known streaming platforms (Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, etc.), we’ve narrowed down our recommendations to just five options.
Take a quick look at them below, or read our complete VPN reviews, to see exactly how every VPN performs in streaming, privacy, security, value, and much more.
[[post-object type=”summary-section” pros-cons=”true” /]]
How we tested CyberGhost and others with BBC iPlayer
We meticulously tested each VPN on this list to ensure they worked with BBC iPlayer and didn’t leak our location or data.
Our globally distributed team switched between servers, thoroughly grilled customer support, and indulged in extended Peaky Blinders marathons (yes, you read that right!).
Most VPNs failed our tests outright. The ones that passed did so based on the following.
- Large server network: We have only recommended VPNs with lots of servers in the UK, as part of a wider network of secure servers spread across the globe.
- Access any content from anywhere: The VPNs we have chosen accessed every streaming site around the world, and other websites that restrict access due to your location, including banks and personal tax portals.
- Fast connection speeds: Because you’ll be streaming lots of HD content, we only included VPNs that have minimal impact on your connection speed and can deliver consistent connections anywhere in the world.
- Excellent security: The VPNs on this list provide state-of-the-art security to keep you hidden and safe online, including 256-bit AES encryption, IP leak protections, automatic kill-switches, and much more.
- Easy to use: The sophisticated tech that powers VPNs doesn’t mean they have to be complicated. We have only included VPNs with simple, user-friendly apps and easy configuration. Anything annoying to use didn’t make it.
- Good value: The best thing about VPNs is how cheap they are – you will never have to spend more than a few dollars a month.
Look at our complete VPN review process to see the full list and use it to guide you when choosing a VPN for BBC iPlayer – or anything else.
Do free VPNs work with BBC iPlayer?
Most free VPNs don’t work with BBC iPlayer. The streamer easily catches their limited UK server networks, and they lack advanced VPN cloaking software and stealth modes.
However, that’s not the only reason we don’t recommend free VPNs. They come with a whole host of user experience and security concerns, including:
1. Free VPNs limit the number of locations you can access. Most only have servers in two to three countries that quickly get crowded with other free users.
2. Free VPNs are too slow for BBC iPlayer – or anything else. They either can’t deliver fast connections or throttle you, so you eventually upgrade to a paid plan.
3. Free VPNs come bundled with ads. They’re intrusive, irritating, and could be loaded with malware.
4. Free VPNs sell your information to data brokers and advertisers. Your privacy will be compromised, and you can’t be sure what malware and trackers are installed on your device to track you.
5. Free VPNs have been caught hosting malware and hackers on their networks. This malware can then infect your devices or be used to steal your personal data.
Numerous affordable VPNs work with BBC iPlayer and don’t compromise your safety or deliver sub-par service.
Avoid unnecessary hassles by opting for these reliable VPN providers and skipping free ones altogether.
CyberGhost and BBC iPlayer FAQs
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”I’m connected to CyberGhost, but I can’t access BBC iPlayer. What should I do?” answer=”
If you’re having trouble accessing BBC iPlayer with CyberGhost, you can switch to another VPN with obfuscated servers and a large server network in the UK.
Obfuscated servers hide that you’re using a VPN to connect to the internet. So, BBC iPlayer will think you’re using your home network to access its content. An extensive server network reduces the likelihood that BBC iPlayer will have tagged and blocked every server your VPN owns (using their IP addresses).
Only premium VPNs like ExpressVPN and NordVPN have powerful enough obfuscation tools and large enough networks to bypass BBC iPlayer’s VPN block.
Once you’ve chosen a VPN, here’s what to do:
- Sign up to your VPN. We recommend ExpressVPN or NordVPN, because they’re the best for BBC iPlayer and every other streaming site.
- Download the VPN app to your BBC iPlayer device.
- Connect to a server in the UK.
- Clear your cache and cookies to ensure BBC iPlayer has no record of your location from earlier sessions.
- Sign in to BBC iPlayer and enjoy unrestricted streaming.
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Do other VPNs work with BBC iPlayer if CyberGhost fails?” answer=”Yes, there are several other VPNs like ExpressVPN, Surfshark, and NordVPN that have a track record of working with BBC iPlayer. Consider trying an alternative VPN if CyberGhost isn’t providing the access you need.” /]]
[[post-object type=”accordion” question=”Is CyberGhost support available to assist with BBC iPlayer issues?” answer=”Yes, CyberGhost’s customer support team should be able to help with any issues related to BBC iPlayer access. Reach out to them for troubleshooting steps and assistance.” /]]
CyberGhost is not the only VPN that occasionally faces blocks from BBC iPlayer. The streaming service consistently tries to curtail VPN usage on its platform. But don’t worry, VPNs consistently devise strategies to bypass these efforts.
If CyberGhost isn’t working on your BBC iPlayer account, try the quick fixes suggested in this guide. If you still can’t get access, an alternate BBC iPlayer VPN might be necessary, such as NordVPN or ExpressVPN.
Or read our top VPN reviews to find out which is best for you.